Thursday 29th August 2013 – Alkaline Trio
O2 Academy Islington is 10!
Did you know…?
FACTS AND STATS
2003 - 2013
Thursday 1st August 2013; Gearing up to O2 Academy Islington’s big 10th birthday party this month, Thursday 29th August will see an explosion of musical history, nostalgia and unforgettable music memories resurrected.
When US Punk Rockers Alkaline Trio opened the 800 capacity North London venue a decade ago in September 2003, no-one could have predicted the trio would be back, in the same year as the venue’s tenth anniversary, with a brand new studio album ‘My Shame Is True’ and once again find themselves headlining the stage of the very London venue they opened.
In celebration of 10 glorious years, here are just 10 of our favourite goings-on over the last decade in N1…
- A plethora of some of the best and biggest artists have played Academy Music Group’s most intimate London venue, O2 Academy Islington. Unforgettable performances from the likes of Kings Of Leon (2004), KISS (2010), Def Leppard (2008), Eminem (2004), Biffy Clyro (2004), D12 (2009 + 2011), Muse (2003) the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (2013) and even the Arctic Monkeys played O2 Academy2 to just a couple of hundred people back in 2005!
- In December 2010, Lady Gaga made a surprise performance with Semi Precious Weapons at the 250 capacity O2 Academy2, dressed in just her bra and leather trousers! She sang on two songs and played drums, before stage driving into the crowd!
- Sparks hold the record for the ‘most played’ artists, performing 20 consecutive shows in May 2008 – a different album each night! Not many artists can claim to have that many albums in their repertoire!
- O2 Academy Islington was formerly the short-lived Marquee in the N1 Centre, a music and dining venue backed by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics.
- My Chemical Romance filmed their video for the single 'Planetary (Go!)' in March 2011 in front of a live audience of just 600 fans, invited the day before the show; and wer encouraged to wear dayglo colours to capture the full Killjoys visual theme.
- The legendary, Sir Tom Jones unexpectedly appeared on stage to perform ‘Stoned In Love’ with Chicane in 2006!
- Former Rich Kids members Glen Matlock and Midge Ure came together with original Rich Kids members, Steve New (guitar) and Rusty Egan (drums) for a celebratory benefit concert in January 2010 with a host of VIP guests!
- In January 2013, Flux Pavilion streamed his entire live show with special guest Example also performing, watched by millions around the globe.
- Paramore played their first ever London show at O2 Academy Islington as part of the Give It A Name tour in 2006, also adding graffiti to the backstage wall!
- Over 1.5 million customers have passed through O2 Academy Islington’s doors to date between 2003 and 2013… Phew!
In honour of Alkaline Trio returning to play the 10th birthday party, check out our ‘Best of Punk Rock Royalty’ from O2 Academy Islington 2013 – 2013 on our Spotify account here: